Who can get it
You might get Relocation Scholarship if you’re a student getting Youth Allowance or ABSTUDY and you meet these rules.
You must meet all of these rules to get this payment. You:
- are a dependent student or an independent student for a special reason
- study in a specific place
- meet the study rules
- get at least $1 each fortnight of Youth Allowance as a student or ABSTUDY Living Allowance.
If you’re an ABSTUDY student but you don’t get any ABSTUDY Living Allowance each fortnight, you may still be eligible. This is if you get 1 or both of these payments from us:
Your place of study
You meet the rule to study in a specific place if you do 1 of the following:
- move to or from a regional or remote area in Australia to study
- do approved study overseas for your Australian course
- do an approved regional placement.
Don’t forget to tell us if you move, so we can update your details.
You can't get it
You can’t get this payment if any of the following apply:
- you don’t get Youth Allowance or ABSTUDY
- you get ABSTUDY Incidentals Allowance but you don’t get an ABSTUDY payment each fortnight
- your family home and your place of study are both in a major city when you start studying
- you’re eligible for an Indigenous Student Success Program scholarship from the Department of National Indigenous Australians Agency
- you get a Relocation Scholarship from the Department of Veterans’ Affairs.
You also can’t get it if you live on campus and get ABSTUDY Residential Costs Option. This applies unless you got the offer to live on campus after we paid your scholarship.
To get a Relocation Scholarship as an independent student you must have a special reason.
Where your family home is determines if you can get a Relocation Scholarship and your payment rate in your second and third years of study.
Page last updated: 24 July 2020
This information was printed 11 August 2020 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/relocation-scholarship/who-can-get-it. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.