Change of circumstances
You need to tell us if your circumstances change when you get JobSeeker Payment.
You need to tell us if any of the following things change:
- you change or correct your name
- your personal and contact details
- your bank details
- your relationship status, for example if you become partnered or separated
- care arrangements for anyone in your care, including your children
- your work status
- your study, including any changes to your study load
You can update your gender identity if you wish.
You also need to tell us if any of the following change:
- you’re sick or injured which stops you from doing your usual work or study for a short time
- you're leaving the country, temporarily or to live somewhere else
- you get a lump sum payment
- your or your partner's income or financial assets change while the assets test is waived
- your or your partner’s assets when the asset test is reinstated
- your accommodation details
- your living arrangements if you’re single and start sharing your accommodation with a non family member who’s 16 or older.
You’ll need to complete the:
- accommodation details form for accommodation changes
- relationship details form for changes to living arrangements.
You need to tell us about a change in your circumstances within 14 days. If you don’t, we may pay you too much. This means you’ll have debt you need to pay back.
How to tell us
You can tell us about a change to your circumstances using one of these self service options:
- your Centrelink online account through myGov
- the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app
- Centrelink phone self service.
Read more about what you can do using self service.
If you don’t have access to a self service option please call the job seekers line.
It’s important to tell us if you change your legal name.
To change or correct your legal name, we’ll need:
- an original document issued by a state or territory Births, Deaths and Marriages registry
- your consent to verify the document.
You need to bring your document to a service centre so we can update our records.
You can find your state or territory Births, deaths and marriage registry on the Australia.gov.au website.
Page last updated: 6 January 2021
This information was printed 21 January 2021 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/jobseeker-payment/how-report-and-manage-your-payment/change-circumstances. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.