Change of circumstances

You need to tell us if your circumstances change when you get JobSeeker Payment.

You may get JobKeeper Payment through your employer. You need to check with them before you claim a payment with us. Read how JobKeeper Payment could affect you.

What to tell us

You need to tell us if any of the following things change:

  • your personal and contact details
  • your bank details
  • your relationship status, for example if you become partnered or separated
  • care arrangements for anyone in your care, including your children
  • your work status
  • your study, including any changes to your study load

You can update your gender identity if you wish.

You also need to tell us if any of the following change:

  • you’re sick or injured which stops you from doing your usual work or study for a short time
  • you're leaving the country, temporarily or to live somewhere else
  • you get a lump sum payment
  • your or your partner's income or financial assets change while the assets test is waived
  • your or your partner’s assets when the asset test is reinstated
  • your accommodation details
  • your living arrangements if you’re single and start sharing your accommodation with a non family member who’s 16 or older.

You’ll need to complete the:

You need to tell us about a change in your circumstances within 14 days. If you don’t, we may pay you too much. This means you’ll have debt you need to pay back.

How to tell us

You can tell us about a change to your circumstances using one of these self service options:

Read more about what you can do using self service.

If you don’t have access to a self service option please call the job seekers line.

Page last updated: 16 September 2020