If you’re in certain education or employment circumstances

If you're 18 or older and in certain education or employment circumstances, you may be independent for Youth Allowance.

We may consider you independent in this way if you’re in either of these circumstances:

  • you haven’t completed year 12 or equivalent
  • your personal circumstances and labour market skills are making it difficult to find a job.

All of the following must also apply. You:

  • are 18 or older
  • worked full time for at least 30 hours per week for 12 months, or for periods that total 12 months
  • are not living at home with either or both of your parents
  • are not getting financial support, either directly or indirectly, from your parents or a long-term guardian.

You may need to give us proof you meet these requirements.

If we assess you as independent under this criteria and your circumstances change, we may consider you dependent again.

Page last updated: 15 December 2021.
QC 61754