If you’re a refugee

If you’re a refugee and your parents don’t live in Australia, you may be independent for Youth Allowance.

We may consider you independent if you either:

  • arrived in Australia on a refugee or humanitarian visa
  • have been granted a permanent protection visa in Australia.

We won’t consider you independent if either:

  • one of your parents lives in Australia
  • you have been largely dependent on someone else when in Australia for a long period of time.

If we assess you as independent and your circumstances change, we may consider you dependent again.

Page last updated: 10 December 2021.
QC 55732