If you’re in state care

You may be independent for Youth Allowance if you are in state care. This includes foster care.

We’ll consider you as being in state care if you’re not living with a parent and either of these apply:

  • you’re in the guardianship, care or custody of a court or government department
  • a current court, minister or department direction places you in the guardianship, care or custody of someone other than your parent.

You’ll need to provide proof that you are in either of these situations. This may include a court order or letter from your state or territory department.

If you stop being in either of these situations because of your age, we may also consider you as being in state care.

If we assess that you’re in state care, we’ll treat you as independent, but this is reviewable. If you leave state care, we may consider you dependent again.

Page last updated: 10 December 2021.
QC 55734

Try our new dark mode

We're testing a darker colour scheme. Try it and let us know what you think.