How to claim

Complete the following steps to claim Farm Household Allowance (FHA). Before you start, check if you can get it.

Steps to claim FHA


    1. Get ready to claim

    The easiest way to claim is online.

    To claim online, you need a Centrelink online account linked to myGov. If you don’t have a myGov account or a Centrelink online account you’ll need to create them.

    You may need to confirm your identity with us before you start your claim.

    If you want to claim with your partner

    If you and your partner are both claiming FHA, you may be able to submit a combined claim online. To use the combined claim option, you both need all of these before starting your claim:

    • your own myGov accounts linked to your own Centrelink online accounts
    • to subscribe to electronic messaging
    • to check we’ve linked you as a couple with us before starting your claim
    • to record that your partner can deal with us on your behalf
    • at least one bank account recorded in joint names.

    If you or your partner have a nominee, they can’t do your combined claim online.

    You’ll need to get supporting documents ready to help answer some of the questions in the claim.


    2. Make your claim

    If you can claim online

    If your Centrelink account is linked to myGov you can claim online.

    Sign in to myGov

    Make sure you submit the claim within 13 weeks from when you started it. If you don’t, it’ll expire and you’ll need to start again.

    Based on your answers, we may ask if you also want to claim Farm Household Allowance for your partner. If you choose a combined claim, your partner will get an SMS or email from us to let them know. We’ll advise them to:

    • sign in to myGov and select Centrelink
    • select the task on their homepage
    • answer questions

    They’ll have 3 days to do this before the task disappears. If this happens, they’ll need to start again and submit their own claim.

    If you can’t claim online

    If you can’t claim online, you can print and complete the Claim for Farm Household Allowance form.

    Submit your form and supporting documents within 14 days.

    You need to complete your claim in full before you can get a payment. We need all supporting documents before we can start to process your claim. You can submit them using any of the following options:

    If you need help to submit your claim you can contact a Rural Financial Counsellor. Read more about the Rural Financial Counselling Service on the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry website.

    If you need help, you can either:


    3. Track your claim

    After you submit your claim online, you’ll get a receipt telling you:

    • we got your claim
    • the ID number of your claim
    • the date we estimate your claim will be complete
    • a link to track its progress.

    To track the progress of your application online, sign in to myGov and select Make a claim or view claim status.

    Sign in to myGov

    You can also use the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app.

    We’ll let you know the result of your claim. We’ll send a letter to either your:

    If you don’t get electronic letters, we’ll send you a letter in the mail.

    If we need more details, we’ll ask you for them.

    If you think we’ve made a mistake, you can ask us to review our decision.

Page last updated: 20 May 2024.
QC 43246