Who can get it

You need to meet eligibility requirements to get Farm Household Allowance.

To get Farm Household Allowance (FHA) you must meet all the following:

  • be a farmer or partner of a farmer
  • be 16 years or older
  • contribute labour and capital to an Australian farm, or are the partner of a farmer who does
  • have income and assets below certain amounts
  • have had less than 4 years of FHA in the specific 10-year period.

Your farm must have significant commercial purpose. We’ll assess this based on all the following:

  • the purpose of your farm
  • the prospect for profit
  • consistency of activity
  • whether your farm runs as a business
  • the size, scale and permanency of your farm activity.

If you’ve previously had this payment, you can apply again, but you can only get it for 4 years in a specific 10-year period. Read more about FHA time limits.

Farmer Assistance Hotline

Our specialist staff can give you advice about:

  • eligibility
  • claiming
  • progress of applications
  • appeals
  • change in circumstances
  • reporting
  • general enquiries.

Call the Farmer Assistance Hotline and talk to us about assistance we give to farmers.

Page last updated: 12 April 2024.
QC 43236