We have information in different languages about How to avoid an overpayment
Avoid a debt
When former customers still owe us money
Call our Multilingual Phone Service to speak with us in your language about your Centrelink payments and services.
An overpayment happens when you’re paid more money than you’re eligible for. This could result in a debt that you need to repay.
You play an important part in making sure you get the right payment at the right amount. You must always give us correct information and tell us of changes to your circumstances within 14 days.
To avoid being overpaid you should:
- know the obligations of your payment
- report your income correctly
- tell us straight away if your circumstances change
- ask us if you’re not sure about your requirements or what you need to tell us.
You can do most of this easily online by using either:
If you can’t tell us of your changes online, please call your regular payment line.
We’re here to help you get the right amount. We try to work with you early so you can avoid being overpaid or reduce how much you’re overpaid by.
To make sure we pay you the right amount we may:
- contact you if we notice you’re at risk of being overpaid
- review your payment regularly and ask you to confirm information.
We're always looking to improve our services. This includes making it easier to avoid an overpayment.