Steps to apply for the Continence Aids Payment Scheme
Check if you’re eligible before you apply.
If you’re applying for yourself, and your Medicare online account is linked to myGov, you can apply online. You can also use the Express Plus Medicare mobile app.
If you’re applying on someone else’s behalf, you need to complete the entire CAPS application form from the Department of Health and Aged Care website. You can also use the form if you can’t apply online.
You may need to give us extra documents when you apply. We’ll tell you what these are in your application. If there’s something missing from your application, we’ll ask you for it.
Read more about providing more information for your application.
2. Get your registered health professional to complete a health report
Before you apply for a payment under CAPS, you must get your registered health professional to complete Section 3 - Health Report in the CAPS application form.
You need to give the whole form to your health professional, but they only need to complete the health report. They need to include their details and information about your condition.
To avoid delays, make sure the Section 3 - Health Report is complete and the details are correct when submitting the application. We can’t process your application without the health report.
3. Start your application
If your Medicare online account is linked to myGov, you can apply online.
If you don’t have a myGov or Medicare online account you’ll need to set them up.
Make sure you have the Health Report completed by your health professional verifying your medical condition before you apply. You’ll need to upload the Section 3 - Health Report to your online application. You don’t need to upload the whole form.
- Sign in to myGov.
- In your Medicare online account, select Services, then Continence aids payment scheme and follow the prompts to complete your application.
In your Medicare online account, you can also:
- check if you’re eligible and the application process before you apply
- view your submitted applications and the completion status
- view and print CAPS payment history for the last 5 years.
4. Wait for the resultIf your application is approved, we’ll pay you into the bank account you give us on your application. You’ll also be able to view your payment history.
If your application is rejected, we’ll tell you in writing. You can appeal our decision. To discuss this, contact the CAPS team.
If you’ve applied through your Medicare online account, we’ll notify you through your myGov inbox about any change to your submitted application.