Getting a medical certificate

You may be exempt from meeting your participation requirements for a short time if you’re sick or injured. You’ll need to give us a medical certificate.

This applies if you have participation requirements and you’re getting Disability Support Pension.

Why you need to give us a medical certificate

If you’re sick or injured, you may get a temporary exemption from these requirements. You’ll need to give us a medical certificate from your doctor. This can be either a medical practitioner or specialist. This helps us work out if you can get an exemption.

Read more about what happens when you give us a medical certificate.

If you can’t participate because of coronavirus (COVID-19) you don’t need to give us a medical certificate.

We’ll give you an exemption for up to 14 days, if you’re either:

  • self-isolating
  • caring for someone who needs to self-isolate.

Call us on the Disability, sickness and carers line to let us know. We may ask for a medical certificate after 14 days if you still need to isolate.

What information you need to give us

Your medical certificate needs to state the following information:

  • what the sickness, injury or disability is
  • how long it will take for you to recover
  • the period you’re unable to work.

It must also tell us how many hours of work you can or can’t do each week.

Types of medical certificates

There are 2 types of medical certificates we can accept, either a:

The preferred evidence is a Centrelink medical certificate form. This helps us assess your exemption faster.

Who can complete a medical certificate

Only authorised medical doctors may complete and sign the Centrelink Medical Certificate form. A medical doctor is a person with recognised medical qualifications, such as a general practitioner, physician or surgeon. If you live in a rural or remote area without a doctor, a community nurse can complete your medical certificate.

Centrelink Medical Certificate form

Your doctor can either:

  • fill the Centrelink Medical Certificate form online, or print it and complete it by hand
  • give us a Centrelink Medical Certificate online using Health Professional Online Services.

Non-Centrelink Medical Certificate

Your doctor may choose to use their own form. We’ll accept it as long as it has the required details and your doctor signs it.

How to give us a medical certificate

If your doctor gives you the completed medical certificate, you can submit it online using either:

If you can’t submit it online, you can either:

Page last updated: 3 March 2022