Financial support

How to access financial support when you live with disability.

There are a number of payments you may be able to get to help with your day-to-day living.

Income support

If disability prevents you from working, you may be able to get an income support payment.

JobSeeker Payment is for people who are sick or injured and can’t do their usual work or study. This payment is for people who need short-term support.

Disability Support Pension is for people with a permanent physical, intellectual or psychiatric condition that either:

  • stops you from working
  • reduces how many hours you can work.

Mobility Allowance is to help with travel costs for work, study or looking for work if you have a disability, illness or injury that means you can’t use public transport.

Medical costs

Medicare covers all or part of the costs of some medical services, including:

  • doctor or specialist appointments
  • tests and scans
  • most surgery and procedures by a doctor
  • eye tests by optometrists.

Medicare can also help cover the costs of mental health care.

Medicare Safety Nets can also help to keep your medical costs down. You get back more from Medicare if you spend over a certain amount in a calendar year on:

  • doctor or specialist appointments
  • some tests and scans.

Medicare may be able to help you with the costs of your medicine. Read more about Medicare and medicine.

If you get a payment from us, you may get a concession or health care card. These can also help with the costs of medical services and medicine.

You could be eligible for either or both:

Managing your money

We have tips and information to help you budget and manage your money.

Page last updated: 14 December 2021