Medical support

How to access medical support services when you live with disability.

It’s important to find a doctor or health care team who can:

  • identify your health care needs
  • talk about treatment options.

Accessing doctors

Use the find a health service on the healthdirect website to find a doctor in your area to discuss your needs. You can also see if local doctors can visit you at home or offer telehealth appointments.

There are things to consider when talking to your doctor or treating health professionals. They may help you and your medical team look after things like:

  • therapy plans
  • disease management
  • pain management.

Accessing equipment

You may be able to get help with the cost of buying and running medical and rehabilitation equipment. These websites will help you find what’s available in your state or territory. The links will take you away from our website.

State or territory Services
ACT Visit the ACT Government Community Services website for information about accessing disability services.
NSW EnableNSW provides assistive technology and related services to NSW residents. They can help with short-term or ongoing health needs to help you to live at home.
NT In the Northern Territory, you can access equipment, aids and appliances to help with everyday activities. Read about the Territory Equipment Program on the NT Department of Health website.
Qld Queenslanders can get subsidies for medical aids and equipment to help with certain conditions or disabilities. Read about the Medical Aids Subsidy Scheme on the Queensland Health website.
SA The SA Department of Human Services Equipment Program offers equipment and assistive technology for people with disability. It provides equipment and home modifications.
Tas In Tasmania, you may be able to access equipment to support everyday tasks. Read about TasEquip on the Tasmanian Department of Health website.
Vic The Victorian Aids and Equipment Program provides subsidised aids and equipment, home and vehicle modifications to help people live safely and independently in their own home. Re-issued items of equipment are also available at no cost to the eligible person.
WA You may be able to get equipment and home modifications to help you live at home with long-term disability. Read about the Community Aids and Equipment Program on the WA Disability Services website.

Read about other equipment schemes on the Carer Gateway website.

Accessing medicines

Medicare may be able to help you with the costs of your medicine. Read about Medicare and medicine.

Page last updated: 1 March 2023.
QC 60107