If you’re an Australian Apprentice, we have payments and support available to help you.

You may get a payment as an Australian Apprentice if you’re both:

What payments you can get

If you’re an apprentice or trainee, you may be eligible for one of the following:

  • Youth Allowance if you’re 24 or younger and a full time Australian Apprentice
  • Austudy if you’re 25 or older and a full time Australian Apprentice
  • ABSTUDY if you’re an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person and a full time Australian Apprentice.

If you get any of these payments, we’ll automatically check if you’re eligible for Rent Assistance. This is a payment to help you pay your rent if you get certain payments from us.

Income and assets tests

When you apply for a payment you and your partner will need to provide income and assets details. This will affect how much you can get. If you’re dependent, the parental means test will also apply.

Use our Payment and Service Finder to find out how much you could get. This will be an estimate only and depends on you entering accurate information. You’ll need to enter your partner’s or your parents’ or guardians’ income along with other details. This includes your income.

Other government support

Other government agencies offer financial support to help with the cost of doing an apprenticeship or traineeship. Read about financial support for Australian Apprenticeships on the Australian Apprenticeships website.

You can also get a VET Student Loan to access higher level VET qualifications. This could help you, if you couldn’t otherwise afford to pay for your course upfront. Read more about VET Student Loans on the Department of Employment and Workplace Relations website.

If your course has stopped because of provider closures, you may be eligible for support from the tuition assurance scheme. Read more about Tuition Protection on the Department of Employment and Workplace Relations website.

You may also be able to get support from your state government, depending on where you live.

Help if you’re living with disability

Youth Disability Supplement is an extra payment for eligible apprentices with disability.

What other support you can get

Talk to your Australian Apprenticeship Support Network (AASN) provider as they can provide advice and support. Search for an AASN provider in your area using the Australian Apprenticeships website.

Work rights as an apprentice or trainee

It’s important to know about your rights as an apprentice or trainee. Read about apprentice entitlements on the Fair Work Ombudsman website.

Mental health websites

The Head to Health website has helpful resources from a range of mental health websites.

Beyond Blue is for help with depression and anxiety.

headspace is for young people who are going through a tough time.

MensLine is for telephone and online counselling services for men.

Help to manage your money

We have information and support to help you manage your money. This includes how to deal with debt and build your savings.

What you can do online

Get help with claiming Youth Allowance, Austudy or ABSTUDY Living Allowance.

If you get any of these payments and your Centrelink online account is linked to myGov, sign in now to:

  • report your employment income
  • tell us if your hours change
  • let us know about any change of circumstances.

Sign in to myGov

If you don’t have a myGov account or a Centrelink online account you’ll need to create them.

You can also use the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app.

Page last updated: 30 October 2023.
QC 60084