Before you go

What to do before you travel or move overseas. How your plans may affect your payments, concession cards, health care and child support.

Travelling or moving overseas can affect your payments and concession cards from us. Some will stop while you’re travelling or when you move.

Tell us before you travel

You may need to let us know that you’re leaving Australia and how long you’re going for.

If you get a Centrelink payment or concession card

Sometimes you need to let us know you’re leaving Australia. This will ensure we pay you correctly. You must also continue to meet the normal eligibility rules to keep getting your payment or concession. Find out more about payments or concession cards while you’re outside Australia.

If your Centrelink online account is linked to myGov you can tell us about your travel plans online.

Sign in to myGov

You can also tell us by calling us on the phone number that relates to your payment.

Follow our guide to advise us of travel using your Centrelink online account through myGov.

If you’re enrolled in Medicare

Medicare doesn’t cover you while you’re overseas. Make sure you have a plan for health care before you travel. Countries that have a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement with us may cover some of the cost. Check if you’re covered. This doesn’t replace travel insurance.

You may need to enrol in Medicare when you return home. This will depend on how long you travel for. Different rules may apply if you’re a permanent resident or an Australian citizen.

If you have a Child Support Case

If you’re leaving Australia, please call us on the Child Support enquiry line before you leave. Your departure may affect how we manage your case.

If you have a child support debt we may issue a Departure Prohibition Order. It’ll stop you from leaving Australia until you either:

  • pay your debt in full
  • enter into an acceptable payment arrangement.

We don’t need a court order to stop you from leaving Australia.

If your circumstances change while overseas, call one of our Child Support international lines.

Check your myGov Account settings

Check your myGov Account settings to make sure you can access myGov while you’re travelling overseas. You’ll either need access to SMS on your phone, or you’ll need to change your myGov sign in options.

If you can’t access myGov, you can’t update your details online while you’re away.

If you don’t have a myGov account, you’ll need to create one and link to a service such as Medicare, Centrelink or Child Support. You only need to do this once.

Read the help pages on myGov if you need help to:

Learn about visas and security

The Smartraveller website has information about Australians travelling overseas, including information about:

  • visas for other countries
  • security alerts and safety
  • passport services
  • consular services for help while you’re away
  • travel insurance.

Get to know the website and read about the country of your destination.

Check our social security agreements with other countries

Australia has international social security agreements with some countries. If you’re going to an agreement country, you may be able to claim a payment from that country.

Page last updated: 15 January 2024.
QC 61757