While you’re overseas

What your obligations are while you’re overseas. Staying safe and getting help while you travel.

Keep us up to date

It may be difficult to keep us up to date whilst you are overseas if you haven’t set up your online account. It’s important you do this before you go.

If you can’t access myGov, you can’t update your details online while you’re away.

If you get a Centrelink payment or concession card

You must continue to meet the eligibility rules to keep your payments or concession card while you’re outside Australia.

If your Centrelink online account is linked to myGov you can keep us up to date online.

Sign in to myGov

You can also update us by calling us on the phone number that relates to your payment.

If you’re enrolled in Medicare

Medicare doesn’t cover you while you’re overseas. Make sure you have a plan for health care before you travel. Countries that have a Reciprocal Health Care Agreement with us may cover some of the cost.

If your Medicare online account is linked to myGov you can update your details online.

Sign in to myGov

If you have a Child Support case

If your situation or circumstances change while overseas, you’ll need to keep us up to date.

If your Child Support online account is linked to myGov you can do this online.

Sign in to myGov

You can also call us on one of our Child Support international lines.

Be COVID-19 safe

Depending on where you travel COVID-19 may impact how simple or difficult it is to get home. Stay up to date with COVID-19 travel restrictions and advice.

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade’s Smartraveller website has information about COVID-19 and travel.

You need proof of your COVID-19 vaccinations for the country you’re visiting. Read more about how to get the vaccine.

If you got a COVID-19 vaccination overseas, we can help you get proof for future use when you come home.

Get help in an emergency

If you’re overseas and are impacted by an emergency, contact an Australian consulate. Read more about consular services on the Smartraveller website.

Consulates can help if you:

  • need an emergency passport
  • have experienced a natural disaster, terrorist attack or civil disturbance
  • are a victim of a crime
  • have been arrested
  • need help with a death of an Australian.

Prepare for returning home

What happens when you come home depends on which state or territory you’re returning to. Make sure you’re aware of any changes while you’re away.

Page last updated: 17 April 2023.
QC 61751