When you’re returning home

Requirements for returning home. COVID-19 vaccination and quarantine rules that may affect you.

Complete a digital passenger declaration

You’ll need to complete a Digital Passenger Declaration (DPD) before travelling to Australia. If you don’t complete a DPD, you’ll get delayed when arriving in Australia and may be fined $6,660.

You can start a DPD online 7 days before your flight to Australia. You’ll be able to complete the DPD within 72 hours before your flight. This is because you must provide your health declaration within this timeframe.

Before boarding your flight you will need to do all of the following:

  • show your completed DPD to airline check-in staff before boarding, either on your phone or by printing a copy
  • show proof of vaccination
  • show your pre-departure COVID-19 test results, or exemptions if applicable.

To find out more information about the Digital Passenger Declaration and how to complete the form online, visit the Department of Home Affairs’ website.

Prepare your proof of COVID-19 vaccination

To return home, you’ll need proof of your vaccination. If you haven’t been able to return to Australia since the pandemic began, you may need to show different proof of vaccination when returning home. You’ll need to provide proof that you’re vaccinated before you enter Australia.

Travellers vaccinated in Australia

Travellers vaccinated in Australia need an International COVID-19 Vaccination Certificate.

Travellers vaccinated overseas

Travellers vaccinated overseas need proof of vaccinations from a health authority of the country they were vaccinated in.

The vaccination proof must be:

  • issued by a national or state-level authority or an accredited vaccination provider
  • written in English or accompanied by a certified translation.

It must include:

  • your name as it appears on your passport
  • either your date of birth or passport number
  • the vaccine brand name
  • the vaccine batch number or lot number
  • the date of each dose or the date on which a full course of immunisation was completed
  • and the country of vaccination.

If you got a COVID-19 vaccination overseas, we can help you get proof for use once you’re home.

Check COVID-19 quarantine rules

Australia has strict border rules in place due to coronavirus (COVID-19). You may have to quarantine when you arrive. This may be in a hotel or at home.

Whether you have to quarantine depends on the rules in the state or territory you’re returning to. The following links will take you away from our website. Be aware that border and quarantine requirements continue to change, often at short notice.

State or territory Resource
ACT The ACT Government website has advice about overseas travel.
NSW The NSW Government website has information about quarantine in NSW.
NT NT.GOV.AU has information about international travel.
Qld The Queensland Government website has advice for international arrivals to Queensland.
SA SA.GOV.AU has advice about international arrivals.
Tas The Tasmanian Government website has information about coming to Tasmania.
Vic VIC.GOV.AU had information for overseas travellers.
WA WA.GOV.AU has advice about travel to WA.

You can also check the COVID-19 restriction checker on the healthdirect website.

Check biosecurity rules

To protect our environment, health and security, we have strict biosecurity rules. This affects what you can bring home to Australia. The Smartraveller website has information about biosecurity and border controls.

Check your passport and visa

Make sure your passport is still valid before you come home. The Australian Passport Office website has information about renewing passports and what to do in an emergency.

If you’re not an Australian citizen, make sure you have the right visa to come to Australia. The Department of Home Affairs has visa information on their website.

Contact us when you arrive home

If you get a Centrelink payment or concession card

In most cases you don’t need to tell us that you’ve returned to Australia.

You need to contact us if any of the following applies to you:

  • your payment or concession card stopped while you were away and didn’t restore automatically when you returned
  • you’re paid under an international social security agreement
  • we’ve asked you to provide evidence for your reason for travel.

If you’re enrolled in Medicare

In most cases you don’t need to tell us that you’ve returned to Australia. If you were eligible before your holiday you may still be enrolled in Medicare.

If you’ve been living overseas for more than 12 months you may need to re-enrol in Medicare. There are different rules depending on if you’re an Australian citizen or not.

If you have a Child Support Case

If you have a Child Support Agreement in place, call us on the Child Support enquiry line when you get home. Your return may affect how we manage your case.

Page last updated: 25 February 2022