Who can get it

You can get ABSTUDY Living Allowance if you’re an eligible student or Australian Apprentice.

You can’t get Living Allowance if you’re getting other income support payments from us.

You may get other ABSTUDY payments while you get Living Allowance.


To get Living Allowance you need to be one of the following:

  • a secondary student
  • a tertiary student
  • a master's or doctorate student.

You also need to be studying an approved course and be either:

  • a full time student
  • a student with an approved concessional study load.

Australian Apprentices

To get Living Allowance, you must be a full time apprentice, trainee or trainee apprentice in the Australian Apprenticeship scheme.

Page last updated: 12 September 2023.
QC 51862