There are things you need to do to manage your allowance.
You need to:
- report the income you’ve earned every 2 weeks even if it’s $0, if you’re an apprentice
- report how much you’ve earned every 2 weeks, if you’re a student earning income
- tell us about any changes to your circumstances
- complete an online review of your study details when we ask
- tell us if you’re going overseas
- get your parents or guardians to update their income details each year, if you’re dependent.
If eligible, you can choose the residential costs option to help pay your residential costs when living away from home.
How much you or your partner get paid affects your payment. We need to know what you both get paid so we can pay you the right amount.
You need to tell us if your circumstances change when you get ABSTUDY Living Allowance.
We may send a letter to your myGov inbox asking you to do an online review of your study details.
You can have an authorised representative to deal with us on your behalf. You can authorise them to enquire, update, act or get payments for you.
If you’re dependent and get Youth Allowance or ABSTUDY, we may need your parents’ or guardians’ income details each year.
There are rules about when you can get ABSTUDY when you travel outside Australia.
An option for students to help pay residential costs while living away from home to study.
Some people can get income support payments paid each week instead of each fortnight.