At 19, your child can also:
- apply for a tax file number (TFN) without your help
- access their immunisation history statement themselves
- open their own bank account
- get their own Medicare card
- be eligible for a payment
- be on the Australian Organ Donor Register.
You can also read more about what happens with FTB if your child:
We may pay FTB Part A until the end of the calendar year in which your child turns 19. When FTB Part A stops depends on when you child completes study. If they’re still studying, they may be eligible for Youth Allowance or ABSTUDY.
If your child is intending to continue to tertiary studies, they may be able to claim a payment from us.
Your income will continue to impact your child’s eligibility for payments until they’re independent. This is usually when they turn 22.
Your child can find out more about leaving school and doing further study or entering a trade or full time work.