What happens when your child turns 13

When your child turns 13, your Family Tax Benefit (FTB) Part A and Part B will change. So may your Child Care Subsidy. Your child can also sign an application for a tax file number (TFN).

At 13, your child may be able to get a job. If they do and you get FTB, it won't affect your rate. Read more about employment for teenagers and FTB.

FTB Part A

When your child turns 13, the maximum rate of FTB Part A increases.

FTB Part B

We pay FTB Part B per family, generally for the youngest child. If you’re a member of a couple, FTB Part B stops when your child turns 13. It may continue until the end of the calendar year they turn 18 if you’re one of the following, a:


Your child can apply for a TFN at any age. However, once they turn 13 they’ll be able to sign the application themselves.

If they ever claim a payment in their own right, they’ll need to give us their TFN.

Find out more about applying for a TFN on the Australian Taxation Office website.

Child Care Subsidy

Child Care Subsidy is only available for children up to 13 who aren’t attending secondary school. However, exceptions are available for children who are either:

  • 13 and younger attending secondary school
  • 14 to 18 with disability and attending secondary school.

Read more about who can get Child Care Subsidy.

Child Dental Benefits Schedule

The Child Dental Benefit Schedule (CDBS) covers part or the full cost of some dental services for eligible children. For each child, you can claim up to $1,095 over 2 consecutive calendar years. The cap amount is indexed yearly on 1 January. The increase in cap amount will only apply to a child or teenager who received their first eligible service in that calendar year.

We’ll tell you if your child is eligible for the CDBS.

Page last updated: 5 April 2024.
QC 60243