Ways to submit the certificate

The easiest way to complete and submit an Employment Separation Certificate (ESC) is online through Business Hub.

on this page

You can also submit an ESC by paper form. But you can’t submit a certificate using Single Touch Payroll (STP). If you report via STP, we get certain cessation information automatically. This has reduced the number of separation certificate requests for employers.

Business Hub

Follow these steps to access the ESC through Business Hub:

  1. Register for Provider Digital Access (PRODA) if you don’t have a PRODA account.
  2. Register for Business Hub. Use the Registration Authority (RA) number from your PRODA account to register for Business Hub.
  3. Select Employment Separation Certificate on the Business Hub homepage.
  4. Fill out the information then review the details you entered. You’ll need:
    • the employee’s full name, date of birth and address
    • employment separation details including key dates and reason for termination
    • termination payment and leave details for the employee.
  5. To change details you entered, select Edit.
  6. Tick the I accept this declaration box, then select Submit.
  7. Save the receipt number for future reference on the Confirmation page.

If you need help, select Ask a question from the bottom of your Business Hub homepage to ask the virtual assistant a question.

We’ll match the details you give us to our records and update the employee’s record.

If you need help with registration, read how to access Business Hub.

For more information, or if you don’t have an Australian Business Number (ABN), please call us on 131 158.

Technical difficulties

Contact our National Business Gateway helpdesk if you experience technical difficulties.

If you need urgent help, you can call the helpdesk on 131 158.

For help with Provider Digital Access (PRODA), please call or email the PRODA team on 1800 700 199.

Paper form

If you can't use Business Hub, you can download, print and fill out the Employment Separation Certificate form. You can then hand it back to the employee, or fax it to us on 132 115.

You can also provide the information on your business letterhead. You, or a pay officer you have authorised, should sign the certificate and keep a copy for your own records.

Page last updated: 5 January 2024.
QC 65627