When to complete a certificate

We may ask you to complete an ESC under certain circumstances.

When any of the following applies:

  • someone stops working for you
  • your employee decreases their working hours or changes from full time to casual work.

You must provide an ESC if we or an employee or former employee request one. The Social Security (Administration) Act 1999 allows a former employee or us to obtain this information under:

  • section 196 if we request it
  • section 199 if a former employee requests it.

Please consider giving a printed copy of the information to the employee, for their own records.

To submit an ESC, register your business in Business Hub. You don’t have to register again if you already registered for the Paid Parental Leave scheme.

Circumstances other than termination of employment

You may need to complete a certificate in circumstances other than termination of employment. Use the Reason for separation section to provide more information.

For example, you can provide more detail about a decrease in working hours or a change from full time to casual work.

Page last updated: 5 January 2024.
QC 65626