Travel outside Australia

The travel rules for your main payment affect your Remote Area Allowance when you travel outside Australia.

If you leave Australia to live in another country, your allowance will stop when you depart.

If your travel is short term, you’ll get Remote Area Allowance for the first 8 weeks you’re away. But you must be getting your main payment. The 8 weeks starts when you leave the remote area where you live for travel both:

  • in Australia
  • overseas.

Check the rules for your main payment while outside Australia to find out:

  • if you can get your payment when you depart
  • when and how to tell us about your travel plans.

Australia’s immigration department will tell us when you leave. They will also tell us when you return.

Page last updated: 29 June 2023.
QC 31066