If you don’t tell us when these changes happen, you may be doing the wrong thing.
You need to tell us if you either:
- you change or correct your name
- change address
- leave Australia.
How and when to tell us
The easiest way to tell us about changes is through our self service options.
You need to:
- tell us within 14 days of the change
- make sure your details are up to date in myGov.
It’s never too late to report a change.
It’s important to tell us if you change your legal name.
To change or correct your legal name, we’ll need:
- an original document issued by a state or territory Births, Deaths and Marriages registry
- your consent to verify the document.
You need to bring your document to a service centre so we can update our records.
What happens if you don’t tell us
If you don’t tell us about changes in your life, we may pay you too much. If this happens you’ll have to pay the money back, plus a fee.
If you deliberately don’t tell us about changes, you could be committing fraud.