Training and reskilling

There are resources and advice available if you want to change your job or gain new skills while getting Disability Support Pension (DSP).

Study and training


The myskills website can help you search for courses or match your skills to jobs.


If you’re aged 17 to 24 and looking for work, you may be able to study a free or low-fee course through JobTrainer. Read about JobTrainer on the myskills website.

Study Australia

You can browse tertiary courses on the Study Australia website. There’s also government financial help for further study. Read more about both of the following:

Skills for Education and Employment (SEE)

The SEE program helps job seekers improve their language, reading, writing, digital literacy and maths skills. The program provides up to 650 hours of training. It’s delivered across Australia, in metropolitan, regional and remote areas, including remote communities.

If you participate in the SEE program, you may get a learning supplement.

Read more about Skills for Education and Employment (SEE) on the Department of Employment and Workplace Relations website.

Transition to work

Workforce Australia Transition to Work (TtW) helps young people aged 15 to 24 and living with disability, to get a job. TtW provides intensive, pre-employment support to improve the work-readiness of young people and help them into work.

This includes helping young people get work ready by any of the following:

  • developing practical skills to get a job
  • connecting with education or training
  • finding and completing work experience placements
  • learning about job opportunities in the local area
  • locating apprenticeships or traineeships
  • connecting with relevant local community services.

Read more about Transition to Work on the Workforce Australia website.

Students with disability

The Australian Disability Clearinghouse on Education and Training has information for students with disability. It provides information and resources for current or potential students at university, TAFE or with a Registered Training Organisation.


Volunteering can help you gain valuable work experience. You could do work-like activities such as any of the following:

  • gardening and maintenance
  • animal or wildlife shelter activities
  • office administration
  • retail work.

If you’re under 35 years of age and have DSP participation requirements, your voluntary work may count towards these requirements.

Page last updated: 10 January 2024.
QC 61761