Job search and financial help

If you’re looking for work, there’s support services to help you with your job search, self-employment or financial help.

Job search


JobAccess is an information hub that offers help and workplace solutions for people with disability and their employers. It supports people to look for work and those who have a job to get more training and better workplace skills.

JobAccess can help you with information about any of the following:

  • Disability Employment Services
  • getting financial support
  • finding or changing jobs
  • funding available to make adjustments you might need in your workplace
  • training and development opportunities
  • current job vacancies
  • the National Disability Insurance Scheme.

Everyone can work

The Everyone can work website helps with employment pathways for people with intellectual disability. It includes workshops and resources about supported work and open employment.

National autism helpline - Autism Connect

Autism Connect is a free service through phone, email and webchat that supports autistic people, their families and carers. It includes information about education and transition to employment.

Jobseeker Toolkit

The Australian Disability Network has developed the Jobseeker Toolkit. It has resources for students and jobseekers including help with resumes, applications and interviews.


Applicants with disability can apply for jobs in the Australian Public Service with the help of RecruitAbility.

RecruitAbility is a scheme which aims to attract and develop job applicants with disability and, to facilitate cultural changes in selection panels and agency recruitment.

Participation in the scheme may help applicants advance to a further stage in the selection process. Merit remains the basis for engagement and promotion.

Your Career

The National Careers Institute’s Your Career website can help if you’re looking for any of the following:

  • your first job
  • a change in career
  • a return to the workforce.

Online Work and Study Support

The headspace website has work and study online support which can help you with any of the following:

  • job search skills and job applications
  • resume and cover letter preparation
  • career planning
  • study and enrolment support
  • support transitioning from school to work or further study
  • access online resources including government support options and specialist assistance
  • balancing your mental health and wellbeing with work or study.

headspace is a national service for young people aged between 12 to 25, experiencing mental health challenges. You can access the service through webchat, video conferencing, email and phone.

Self-employment help

Self-Employment Assistance

If you want to start your own business, or get help for your existing business, we can refer you to the Self-Employment Assistance program. It can help you with any of the following:

  • Exploring Self-Employment Workshops
  • Business Plan Development
  • free accredited Small Business Training
  • Business Advice Sessions
  • Business Health Checks
  • Small Business Coaching.

Read more on the Workforce Australia website about Self-Employment Assistance.

Financial help

Mobility Allowance

This payment can help if you have an illness, injury or disability that stops you from using public transport without substantial assistance. You can use it for travel costs for any of the following:

  • work
  • study
  • looking for work.

Read more about Mobility Allowance.

Employment Assistance Fund

You can get help to prepare for a job through the Employment Assistance Fund.

It can help people who need either:

  • Auslan assistance
  • special work equipment.

It can also help employers pay for workplace modifications or services for employees with disability.

National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)

The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) provides funding to people with disability. Visit their website for information about finding, keeping and changing jobs.

Special Employment Advance

You may get a Special Employment Advance if you get Disability Support Pension.

You can apply for this advance if any of these apply:

  • you get a job for at least 6 weeks and your income support will reduce by at least 50%
  • you get a job and don’t have enough money to pay for something you need to start it
  • you or your partner’s work reduced your income support by at least 50% and you haven’t got your pay yet.

Read more about advance payments.

Page last updated: 1 March 2024.
QC 61760