Supporting documents

When you claim a payment or service, we’ll ask you for some documents to support your claim.

What documents you need

As you complete your claim, we’ll ask you for certain documents or information. We’ll tell you in the claim which documents we need. These will show as required in your claim.

You’ll need to give us these documents before you can submit your claim. Having them ready will help you finish your claim and speed up the process. Call us on your regular payment line if you’re unsure which documents you need to give us.

We may also ask you to confirm details your education provider tells us about your study. We get this information from the Department of Education.

Other documents you may need

You may need to give us other documents. These show as supplementary in the claim. You’ll have 14 days after you submit your claim to submit these documents.

We may ask you for more information as we work through your claim and assess your circumstances. If this happens, we’ll put your claim on hold as we wait for these documents. You need to provide them within 14 days of our request or we could reject your claim.

What common documents are

We’ve listed the documents and information we usually ask for. You may not need all of them. Your parents, your guardian or your partner may also need to give us some of these documents to support your claim.

Documents Details

You’ll need your tax file number (TFN). If you don’t have a TFN, you can apply to get one free on the ATO website.

You may need to give details of any financial assets. Listed below are documents you may need to complete your claim:

  • for savings, term deposits, mortgage offsets and overseas bank accounts – details such as account names, account number, name of financial institution and the current account balance
  • investments
  • insurance agreements
  • income and assets, including real estate assets
  • income stream schedule
  • the latest annual superannuation statement issued by your superannuation fund.

If you have a Self-Managed Superannuation Fund (SMSF) or a Small APRA fund (SAF), you’ll need to give us the latest annual member statement and the latest annual financial return for the fund.


You may need to tell us your:

  • partner details, including citizenship, study, work and income details
  • separation details.
Residence details if you’ve lived outside Australia

You may need to tell us your:

  • visa information
  • the date you and your partner became Australian citizens
  • the dates you and your partner lived in other countries.

Employment or work

If you’ve lost your job, you may need to give us an employment separation certificate and payslips.

You may also need to tell us about any income you’re paid from:

  • work
  • a small business
  • other income, such as rent from an investment property.

You may be able to get some documents through your ATO online account. Read more about what you can do in your ATO online account, on the ATO website.


We may ask you to give us or confirm your:

  • planned and previous course details
  • scholarship details
  • enrolment details or fee receipts
  • course acceptance notices
  • academic transcripts.

If we ask you for proof of enrolment, we’ll need you to provide documents that:

  • have the name of your course
  • are official documents from your education provider
  • have the period you’re enrolled in.

You may need to give us your:

  • Health Care Card claims
  • medical reports
  • medical certificates.

How to submit your documents

You can upload documents in your Centrelink online account or the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app. Read more about how to submit your Centrelink documents online.

You can also give them to us by mail, fax, or by visiting a service centre.

Page last updated: 4 August 2022