Supporting documents

We’ll ask you for some documents to support your claim for Disability Support Pension.

What documents you need

As you complete your claim we’ll ask you to provide us with certain documents or information. We’ll tell you in the claim which documents you need to give to us. These are listed as required in your claim.

You’ll need to provide these documents before you can submit your claim. Having them ready will help you finish your claim and not delay the process. Call the Disability, sickness and carers line if you're unsure which documents you need to give us.

Other documents you may need

You may need to give us other documents. These will be listed in the claim as supplementary. You’ll have 14 days after you submit your claim to submit these.

We may ask you for more information as we work through your claim and assess your circumstances. If this happens, we’ll put your claim on hold as we wait for these documents. You need to provide them within 14 days of our request or your claim may be rejected.

What are common documents

We've listed the documents and information we usually ask for. You may not need all of them. Your parents, guardian or partner may also need to provide some of these documents to support your claim.

Documents Details

Documents you may need, include:

  • medical history records or reports
  • specialist medical reports
  • psychologist reports, including IQ testing
  • medical imaging reports, but not films or CDs
  • physical examination reports
  • hospital or outpatient records including details of operations
  • compensation and rehabilitation reports
  • special school reports
  • physiotherapy or audiology reports.

Documents you may need, include:

  • tax file number
  • bank account details
  • savings, term deposits, mortgage offsets or overseas account details
  • investments
  • insurance agreements
  • income and assets, including real estate assets
  • superannuation.
Study Documents you may need, include current, planned and previous course details.

Documents you may need, include:

You may be able to get some documents through your ATO online account. Read more about what you can do in your ATO online account, on the ATO website.

Living arrangements

Documents you may need, include:

  • housing, rental property or real estate details
  • student or campus accommodation
  • proof of assets ownership documents
  • rates notices
  • living away from home
  • rent certificate.

If you need to provide a rent certificate and you pay rent to your parents they’ll need to sign a statutory declaration. It must be signed and declared true before an authorised witness.


Documents you may need, include:

  • parent or guardian details, including work and income details
  • partner details, including citizenship, study, work and income details
  • separation details.
Residence details if you’ve lived outside Australia

Documents you may need, include:

  • visa information
  • the date you and your partner became Australian citizens
  • the dates you and your partner lived in other countries.
If you're under 21

Documents you may need, include:

  • proof of birth for dependent children
  • proof of marriage or relationship
  • proof of past employment
  • information about why you can’t live at home.

How to submit your documents

You can upload documents in your Centrelink online account or the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app. Read more about how to submit your Centrelink documents online.

You can also give them to us by mail, fax, or by visiting a service centre.

Page last updated: 16 June 2023.
QC 53157