If you no longer get a payment from us

How you repay money you owe if you no longer get a payment from us.

Income apportionment debt pause

We’ve paused repayments on debts that might be related to income apportionment. We’ll let you know if this affects you by SMS and letter. Find out more about income apportionment.

Repaying money you owe

You’ll need to repay the money in full or set up a payment arrangement with us by your due date. Most people set up a payment arrangement and pay it over time.

If your Centrelink online account is linked to myGov, sign in now to set up a payment arrangement.

Sign in to myGov

You can also set up a payment arrangement by:

At any time, you can also make extra payments towards what you owe. This could be a regular payment or a one-off payment.

If you get Family Tax Benefit or Child Care Subsidy, read more about how we recover debts for these payments.

Taking money from your tax refund

We can ask the Australian Taxation Office to garnish your tax refund to repay your debt if all of the following apply:

  • you’re not getting a payment from us
  • you haven’t made an arrangement to repay your debt
  • your debt repayments aren’t paused.

This is known as a tax garnishee.

Garnish means they’ll give us some or all of your tax refund to repay your debt. We’ll write to you if we do this.

Read about what happens if you don’t take action to repay your Centrelink debt.

Page last updated: 3 October 2023.
QC 60307