Other payments if you can’t get DSP

If you can’t get Disability Support Pension (DSP), you may be able to get a different payment.

When you’re unable to work for a short time

JobSeeker Payment is financial help if you’re between 22 and Age Pension age and looking for work. It’s also for when you’re sick or injured and can’t do your usual work or study for a short time.

Read more about JobSeeker Payment.

When you care for someone else

Carer Payment and Carer Allowance help if you provide daily care to someone who’s frail aged, ill or has disability.

When you’re between 21 and 24

Youth Allowance can help if you’re either:

  • 24 or younger and a student or Australian Apprentice
  • 21 or younger and looking for work.

Youth Disability Supplement is an extra payment if you’re a young person with disability and on certain income support payments.

You may get it if you're under 22 and get either:

  • Youth Allowance as a job seeker, full time student or Australian Apprentice
  • ABSTUDY as a full time student or Australian Apprentice.

When you’re under 16

If you’re under 16 you can’t get DSP. You can apply once you’re 15 and 9 months. If you’re eligible, your payments will start when you turn 16.

While you’re under 16, you, your parent or guardian may be able to get other payments.

Assistance for Isolated Children Scheme is a group of payments for parents and carers of children in specific situations.

ABSTUDY is a group of payments for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander students or apprentices.

Read about payments for families.

Where to find out about other help

Read more about payments and services for people living with an illness, injury or disability.

Page last updated: 3 March 2022.
QC 51253