How Centrepay works
Customers may ask to pay their bills and other costs through Centrepay.
If we approve your business to use Centrepay, we’ll send customer’s payments to your business by a secure electronic transfer.
Customers can request Centrepay by:
- using our online services
- calling us on their regular payment line
- contacting your business.
You’ll have access to Centrelink Business Online Services (CBOS) to:
- get deduction and payment reconciliation reports
- add, vary or cancel deductions with customer consent.
Costs for using Centrepay
Centrepay is free to use for Centrelink customers.
Businesses pay a fee of $0.99 per transaction, including GST.
We usually take this fee from the payment we make to your business. It covers our costs to administer Centrepay. Your business must not pass this fee on to your customer.
Get customer consent
You must get your customers’ consent. It’s your duty to make sure you and your staff understand that:
- you must get consent from your customers before starting or changing deductions
- customers can cancel a deduction at any time
- by cancelling a deduction, the customer is taking away their consent for the deduction to continue
- you can’t continue to make deductions if someone is no longer your customer
- we’ll let customers know about any deductions.
Read the Centrepay Policy and Terms to understand:
- your obligations
- the objective of Centrepay
- our assurance framework
- our response to non-compliance
- your privacy requirements and how to meet them.
You can also:
- find out if your business can use Centrepay
- see included and excluded goods and services.
For more details about how Centrepay works read the Procedural Guide for Businesses.
There’s a $10 minimum amount for each regular deduction. Each deduction can have an end date or target amount in place.
Centrepay can help your business reduce administrative costs. This may include costs related to withdrawal and reconnection of your service to your customer.
As part of your approval to use Centrepay you must comply and act in line with the Centrepay framework.
Page last updated: 15 July 2019
This information was printed 14 July 2020 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/organisations/business/services/centrelink/centrepay-businesses/how-centrepay-works. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.