New to JobSeeker Payment

If we approve your claim, there are things you need to do to get your JobSeeker Payment.

What you need to do

Report your employment income and hours worked

To get your first payment, you’ll need to report your employment income. Every 2 weeks, you need to tell us what you and your partner were paid in that period. If you worked but your employer hasn’t paid you yet, report your hours. You won’t get your payment until you do this. You can report using any of these:

You need to continue to report every fortnight, even when your and your partner’s income is zero.

You can find out what day you need to report either:

If you want to report your partner’s income online, you’ll need permission to enquire or have a nominee arrangement.

Agree to a Job Plan and meet your requirements

Your Job Plan is an agreement you make to meet your mutual obligation requirements. If you have any questions about your Job Plan, talk to your employment services provider.

If you’re with Workforce Australia Online, call the Digital Services Contact Centre on the Workforce Australia website.

To keep getting your payment you need to complete activities to help you get a job. We’ll let you know if you’re exempt from these.

Once you submit your claim, the Department of Employment and Workplace Relations will contact you. They’ll tell you how to access the online employment service. This is where you can manage your Job Plan and tasks online.

Read more about Job Plans on the Workforce Australia website.

Complete a profile

The profile is a summary of your skills, training and work history that helps match you with job vacancies.

If you’re referred to Workforce Australia Online, it’s compulsory for you to complete a profile. You won’t be able to agree to a Job Plan until you do.

It will show as a task on the homepage of your Workforce Australia online account.

You don’t need to complete a profile if you’re in one of the following Workforce Australia programs:

  • Transition to Work
  • ParentsNext.

You also don’t need to complete a profile if you’re in either:

  • Disability Employment Services
  • Community Development Program.

Read about creating a profile or watch the video on the Workforce Australia website.

Tell us about any changes

You need to let us know if there’s a change in your circumstances. You should also regularly check the information in your online account is correct. This is so we can make sure we pay you the right amount. If we pay you too much you’ll get a debt you need to pay back.

You may need to tell us about:

  • a change in your relationship status
  • a change in your income
  • a change to your or your partner’s income or financial assets of more than $2,000
  • you or your partner open or close a bank account
  • moving house or changing living arrangements
  • buying or selling a car, house or other assets.

You can tell us about a change to your circumstances using one of these self service options:

How much you’ll get paid

The amount you’ll get depends on your personal situation including:

  • if you have a partner
  • if you have children
  • the gross amount your or your partner’s employer paid you or your partner in the past 14 days.

Read more about how much you can get.

How to contact us

The best way to do most of your Centrelink business is online through either:

If you can’t do your business online, you can call us on the Centrelink Employment Services Line.

Who to contact about your mutual obligation requirements

If you want to discuss your mutual obligation requirements, who you talk to depends on your situation. This is if you want to discuss things including the following:

  • job search requirements
  • your Job Plan
  • appointments
  • the Job Seeker Snapshot.

If you’re in Workforce Australia Online

You can call the Digital Services Contact Centre on the Workforce Australia website.

If you have an employment services provider

You should talk to your employment services provider directly. You can also call the National Customer Service Line on the Workforce Australia website.

Page last updated: 3 December 2022.