Living and study requirements

Your child’s living and study arrangements will determine which allowance or supplement you get.

They need to be in one of the following places while they’re studying:

  • boarding at a school, hostel, or privately
  • living in the family’s second home to go to school
  • living at home and doing distance education or approved home schooling
  • going to a Northern Territory Homeland Learning Centre.

Your child needs to be studying full time. They must be doing primary, secondary or other approved study.

You may get Assistance for Isolated Children if your child does approved full time tertiary study. This has to be because they don’t have access to a state secondary school.

Page last updated: 10 December 2021.
QC 51850