Residence rules

On the day you claim Assistance for Isolated Children you must meet the residence rules.

You and the child you’re claiming for must be living in Australia and have 1 of the following:

How else you may meet the rules

The child does not need to be physically in Australia at the time of claim, if they are:

  • enrolled at school in Australia and are on an international student exchange
  • already eligible for Distance Education Allowance and is doing full time distance education while overseas.

Full time distance education while overseas must be for less than 12 months and their education institution approves.

Page last updated: 3 March 2022