Approved courses include:
- accredited primary or secondary courses through a school, college, special school, distance or online education, or a Northern Territory Homeland Learning Centre
- home schooling approved by a state or territory education authority
- vocational education and training, statement of attainment or certificate courses, and other accredited tertiary training programs
- approved courses for children with disability, ungraded living skills education or training courses in a residential or non-residential institution for children with disability or other special needs.
Approved education institutions include:
- government primary, secondary and senior secondary colleges
- government special schools
- Northern Territory Homeland Learning Centres
- government distance education centres or schools, and Schools of the Air
- non-government education institutions with primary, ungraded, secondary or special courses, including distance education, accredited by the state or territory education authority
- government and private vocational education and training, or TAFE institutions that are registered training organisations
- government and non-government residential or non-residential institutions for children with disability or other special needs.