Approved courses of study and institutions

The student must study full time in an approved course at an approved institution to get Assistance for Isolated Children.

Approved courses include:

  • accredited primary or secondary courses through a school, college, special school, distance or online education, or a Northern Territory Homeland Learning Centre
  • home schooling approved by a state or territory education authority
  • vocational education and training, statement of attainment or certificate courses, and other accredited tertiary training programs
  • approved courses for children with disability, ungraded living skills education or training courses in a residential or non-residential institution for children with disability or other special needs.

Approved education institutions include:

  • government primary, secondary and senior secondary colleges
  • government special schools
  • Northern Territory Homeland Learning Centres
  • government distance education centres or schools, and Schools of the Air
  • non-government education institutions with primary, ungraded, secondary or special courses, including distance education, accredited by the state or territory education authority
  • government and private vocational education and training, or TAFE institutions that are registered training organisations
  • government and non-government residential or non-residential institutions for children with disability or other special needs.
Page last updated: 10 December 2021.
QC 40051