Who can get it

To get Away from Base Assistance, you, the student and the planned away from base activity must meet certain criteria.

To get this assistance for an eligible student, you can be any of the following:

  • a university
  • a TAFE
  • a higher education provider
  • a VET training provider
  • a secondary school provider.

The activity you’re planning must meet certain Away from Base activity criteria.

Students who can get it

Students taking part in the activity must also meet certain criteria.

They need to claim an ABSTUDY payment if they don’t get one already. This could be either ABSTUDY Living Allowance or ABSTUDY Incidentals Allowance.

They also need to meet both the following:

Other people who can get it

In some instances, you can also get assistance for any of the following:

  • education providers running residential schools or assessment testing in the student’s home community
  • drivers and pilots of chartered transport.

Who can’t get it

You can’t get this assistance for any of the following:

  • an education provider representative who travel and take part in the activity
  • the partner of a participating student
  • the child of a participating students.
Page last updated: 3 March 2022.
QC 55070