Support for non parent carers

We provide support to grandparents, legal guardians and other family members who provide full time care for a child.

Payments and services to help non parent carers

There is help available if you're not the parent of the child you care for.

Child Care Subsidy helps with the cost of approved child care. You may be eligible if you have at least 14% care and are responsible for paying child care fees for the child.

Additional Child Care Subsidy gives some families extra assistance with the cost of approved child care. You may be able to get an additional subsidy if you're any of the following:

  • a grandparent or great grandparent
  • transitioning from certain income support payments to work
  • in temporary financial hardship.

Family Tax Benefit helps with the costs of raising or caring for children. You may be eligible if you’re the carer of your birth child, grandchild, foster child or adopted child.

Double Orphan Pension helps with the costs of caring for:

  • children who are orphans
  • are unable to be cared for by their parents in certain circumstances.

Assistance for Isolated Children Scheme helps carers of school aged students if they either:

  • live in an isolated area
  • can’t go to an appropriate state school daily because they have disability or special health needs.

Grandparent advisers are available to support grandparents who care full time for their grandchildren.

Our Payment and Service Finder helps you identify possible payments for your family. You can also see how much Family Tax Benefit or Child Care Subsidy you may be able to get.

Payments and services when you’re a carer for a child

Subscribe to get regular email news updates for carers.

We have payments to help non parent carers who provide care to a child who has a disability or medical condition.

Carer Payment helps if you’re unable to work in paid employment because you’re providing full time care to someone with a:

  • severe disability or medical condition
  • or who is frail aged.

You may also get Carer Allowance if you provide care for a child 16 years or younger.

Carer Allowance is a supplement available if you’re providing additional daily care and attention to someone:

  • with disability
  • a severe medical condition.

Carer Supplement is an annual lump sum payment to help with the costs of caring for a person with:

  • a disability
  • medical condition.

Child Disability Assistance Payment is an annual lump sum payment. This payment helps with the costs of caring for a child with disability.

Carer Adjustment Payment is a one off payment. This payment helps families adjust following a catastrophic event where a child 7 years or younger either has a:

  • severe illness
  • medical condition
  • severe disability.

Medicare services

A Medicare Card helps you with some health expenses, like free doctor visits at health clinics.

There are other Medicare services available if you're not the parent of the child you care for.

Australian Childhood Immunisation Register is a national register that records vaccinations given to children.

Child Dental Benefits Schedule provides access to benefits for basic dental services for children.

Medicare Safety Net helps with the costs of out of hospital medical services that attract a Medicare benefit.

Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) Safety Net can reduce the cost of prescription medicines once the threshold has been reached.

Child support for non parent carers

If you care for a child and aren’t the parent, you may get child support from both parents.

Read about applying for child support as a non parent carer.

Change of circumstances

If you pay or receive child support, you should let us know about any changes to your circumstances. For example if the child goes into respite care or the hospital, or if they need less care.

Changes may affect the amount of child support you pay or receive. Update your child support arrangement by either:

You should also tell us if your income changes as a result of your circumstances. Report changes to your income either:

Other government and community support services

There are a range of other organisations that provide support services and useful information you may find helpful. You can use Payment and Service Finder to locate assistance in your local area.

Related subjects

Page last updated: 25 February 2021