Payments and services for Australian Apprentices
We have payments and services to help if you’re an Australian Apprentice.
An Australian Apprentice is someone who is both:
- registered with the Australian Apprenticeships scheme
- doing a full time apprenticeship or traineeship.
Payments for Australian Apprentices
If you’re doing an Australian Apprenticeship, you may get one of 3 main payments.
Youth Allowance for students and Australian Apprentices is for full-time Australian Apprentices between 16 and 24.
Austudy is the main income support payment if you’re 25 or older and a full time student or Australian Apprentice.
ABSTUDY is a group of payments for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students and Australian Apprentices.
If you get one of these main payments, you may also get any of the following:
- Rent Assistance to help you cover the costs of renting or boarding
- a Health Care Card to help you get more affordable health care and some discounts
- Pharmaceutical Allowance, if you have a temporary illness or medical condition
- Energy Supplement to help you cover energy costs
- Remote Area Allowance to help if you live in a remote area
- Youth Disability Supplement to support you with physical, intellectual or psychiatric disability.
Before we can pay you these, we’ll check your Commonwealth Registration Number.
If you’re an Australian Apprentice and you can’t get one of the main payments, there is other help available. You may be able to get any of the following:
- a Low Income Health Care Card, to help you get more affordable health care if you’re on low income
- other payments for students and trainees
- other payments for families to help with the costs of raising children.
You can also check what other payments and services you may be eligible for using our:
- Payment and Service Finder to find, estimate and compare payments and services
- Online Estimators to estimate or compare payments based on your current or future circumstances.
More help and information
If you need help with payments and services for Australian Apprentices, call the Australian Apprenticeships line.
Australian Apprenticeships has up to date information for apprentices. If you’re thinking of doing an apprenticeship, it can help you work out options.
You can use Payment and Service Finder to find help in your local area. It also has information and help from local organisations.
My Skills is the national directory of Vocational Education and Training (VET) organisations and courses. It lets you search for, and compare, courses and providers.
Help with managing your payment and money
When you’re an apprentice, you may be earning income that you’ll need to report. Read about employment income reporting.
MoneySmart can help you make the most of your money. Read the tips for student life and budgeting section on the MoneySmart website.
Help with mental health issues
If you’re experiencing depression, anxiety or stress, you may find it helpful to talk to somebody about your mental health.
Headspace is the national youth mental health foundation and helps young people who are going through a tough time.
Page last updated: 25 May 2021
This information was printed 19 July 2021 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/subjects/payments-and-services-australian-apprentices. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.