Payments and services for Australian Apprentices

We have payments and services to help if you’re an Australian Apprentice.

An Australian Apprentice is someone who is both:

Payments for Australian Apprentices

If you’re doing an Australian Apprenticeship, you may get one of 3 main payments.

Youth Allowance for students and Australian Apprentices is for full-time Australian Apprentices between 16 and 24.

Austudy is the main income support payment if you’re 25 or older and a full time student or Australian Apprentice.

ABSTUDY is a group of payments for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students and Australian Apprentices.

If you get one of these main payments, you may also get any of the following:

Before we can pay you these, we’ll check your Commonwealth Registration Number.

If you’re an Australian Apprentice and you can’t get one of the main payments, there is other help available. You may be able to get any of the following:

You can also check what other payments and services you may be eligible for using our:

More help and information

If you need help with payments and services for Australian Apprentices, call the Australian Apprenticeships line.

Australian Apprenticeships has up to date information for apprentices. If you’re thinking of doing an apprenticeship, it can help you work out options.

You can use Payment and Service Finder to find help in your local area. It also has information and help from local organisations.

My Skills is the national directory of Vocational Education and Training (VET) organisations and courses. It lets you search for, and compare, courses and providers.

Help with managing your payment and money

When you’re an apprentice, you may be earning income that you’ll need to report. Read about employment income reporting.

Moneysmart can help you make the most of your money. Read the tips for student life and budgeting section on the Moneysmart website.

Help with mental health issues

If you’re experiencing depression, anxiety or stress, you may find it helpful to talk to somebody about your mental health.

You can talk to a social worker about your situation. You might get a payment from us if you’re experiencing a crisis or need special help.

Headspace is the national youth mental health foundation and helps young people who are going through a tough time.

Related subjects

Page last updated: 7 October 2021