Who can get it
Check if you're eligible to get Youth Allowance as a student or an Australian Apprentice.
To get Youth Allowance as a student or an Australian Apprentice you must be one of the following:
- 18 to 24 and studying full time
- 16 to 24 and doing a full time Australian Apprenticeship
- 16 to 17 and independent or needing to live away from home to study
16 to 17, studying full time and have completed year 12 or equivalent.
You must also do all of the following:
- meet Australian residence rules
- satisfy income and assets tests
- be doing an approved course or full time Australian Apprenticeship.
Keep in mind, we’ve temporarily waived some waiting periods due to coronavirus (COVID-19). Read more about upcoming changes during COVID-19.
You may stay on Youth Allowance after you turn 25 until you finish your course or apprenticeship.
You normally can’t get Youth Allowance if you’re studying full time in secondary school and under 18. You will only qualify for it if you meet 1 of the following criteria. You:
- are eligible for the away from home rate of Youth Allowance
- meet the independence criteria for Youth Allowance
- got Youth Allowance before starting a full time secondary course and transferred straight from Youth Allowance for job seekers to Youth Allowance for students.
You can use our Payment and Service Finder to help check if you’re eligible.
If you’re 21 or younger and looking for full time work, read more about Youth Allowance for job seekers.
We have 8 common student profiles. See if any of these match your situation.
On the day you claim Youth Allowance you must be an Australian resident, and in Australia.
You must study an approved course at an approved education provider to get Youth Allowance, Austudy, or Pensioner Education Supplement.
Information about Limited program schools for ABSTUDY, Assistance for Isolated Children and Youth Allowance for students and Australian Apprentices.
If you study by distance education, you need to do an approved course with an approved education provider.
Most people need to study full time to get Austudy or Youth Allowance as a student. To work out if you’re full time you need to know your study load.
We use income and assets tests to work out how much Youth Allowance for students and Australian Apprentices you get. These are the maximum rates.
Page last updated: 12 October 2020
This information was printed 23 October 2020 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/youth-allowance-students-and-australian-apprentices/who-can-get-it. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.