Getting a medical certificate

You may be able to get an exemption from your Youth Allowance study or apprenticeship requirements with a medical certificate.

Why you need to give us a medical certificate

If you’re sick or injured, you may get a temporary incapacity exemption from your full time study or apprenticeship requirements. You’ll need to give us a medical certificate from your doctor. This can be either a medical practitioner or specialist. This helps us decide if you can get an exemption.

What information you need to give us if you’re ill or injured

Your medical certificate must include all of the following information:

  • what the sickness or injury is
  • how long it will take for you to recover
  • if you’re unable to do your full-time study load or training and how long you won’t be able to do it.

Types of medical certificates

There are 2 types of medical certificates you can give us, either a:

  • Centrelink Medical Certificate form
  • non-Centrelink medical certificate.

The preferred evidence is a Centrelink medical certificate form. This helps us assess your exemption request faster. You can get a Centrelink Medical Certificate from your doctor.

Who can complete a medical certificate

Only authorised medical doctors may complete and sign the Centrelink Medical Certificate form. A medical doctor is a person with recognised medical qualifications, such as a general practitioner, physician or surgeon. If you live in a rural or remote area without a doctor, a community nurse can complete your medical evidence.

Centrelink Medical Certificate form

Your doctor can either:

  • fill the Centrelink Medical Certificate form out online, or print it and complete it by hand
  • give us a Centrelink Medical Certificate online using Health Professional Online Services.

Non-Centrelink Medical Certificate

Your doctor may choose to use their own form. We’ll accept it as long as it has the required details and your doctor signs it.

When to give us a medical certificate

You can do this if you’re sick or injured and you’re either:

  • making a new claim for Youth Allowance
  • already getting Youth Allowance and can’t meet your full time study or work requirements.

Applying for an exemption when you claim Youth Allowance for students and Australian Apprentices

If you’re applying for an exemption when you claim you’ll need to both:

  • let us know why you can’t study or work or why you can’t do it full time
  • give us a medical certificate as one of the supporting documents with your claim.

Read about how to submit your documents.

Applying for an exemption if you’re already getting Youth Allowance for students and Australian Apprentices

You can apply for an exemption at any time by giving us a medical certificate.

How to give us your Medical Certificate

If your doctor gives you the completed medical certificate, you can submit it online.

If your Centrelink online account is linked to myGov, sign in now to submit your medical certificate.

Sign in to myGov

You can also use the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app.

If you can’t submit it online, you can either:

Page last updated: 20 June 2024.
QC 54345