Tertiary Access Payment

A payment to help students with the cost of moving from outer regional or remote areas for tertiary study.

The Tertiary Access Payment is a one off payment of $5,000 paid in 2 instalments. It’s to help eligible students with the cost of moving to study. This is for study after you’ve finished year 12 or equivalent.

Important information about claiming

Not all students can claim the Tertiary Access Payment through Services Australia.

If you’re a university student, you must check your eligibility and claim the payment through your university. You can claim with your university if you’re studying either:

  • a higher education course
  • a higher education Diploma that is eligible for FEE HELP.

We can’t advise you on eligibility or take your claim. For more information, contact your university or read more about the Tertiary Access Payment on the Department of Education, Skills and Employment website.

If you’re studying a Vocational Educational and Training (VET) course at a university you must claim through us. Eligible VET courses can be any of the following:

  • Certificate IV
  • Diploma (other than a Higher Education Diploma eligible for FEE HELP)
  • Advanced Diploma.

You must also claim the payment through us if you’re studying at a VET or higher education non-university provider.

Find out more about what you need to know before you claim through us.

To get the payment you need to meet some rules. These include:

  • moving from an outer regional or remote area for tertiary study
  • starting tertiary study directly after finishing year 12 or equivalent with no gap year.

Page last updated: 1 July 2021