Travel outside Australia

There are rules about when you can get Remote Area Allowance when you travel outside Australia.

What the rules are

If you leave Australia to live in another country, your payment will stop on departure.

If you leave Australia on a temporary basis, you’ll get Remote Area Allowance for the first 8 weeks you’re away. This includes both when you’re:

  • in Australia, but away from the remote area where you live
  • travelling overseas.

Check your main payment type to find out both of the following:

  • whether we can pay you when you leave Australia
  • when you should tell us about your travel plans.

Read more about payments while outside Australia.

Page last updated: 13 March 2020