Who can get it

You can get the supplement if you meet study rules and get certain payments from us or the Department of Veterans’ Affairs.

There are 2 other types of Pensioner Education Supplement (PES):

Payments from us

You may be eligible for Pensioner Education Supplement if you meet the study rules and get 1 of these payments:

When job seekers are single principal carers

In some cases you may keep getting Pensioner Education Supplement if you’re a job seeker and a single principal carer. This is if all these conditions apply:

  • you’ve already been getting Pensioner Education Supplement and you’re studying the same course
  • you transfer to JobSeeker Payment or Youth Allowance for job seekers
  • you’re no longer eligible for Parenting Payment single because your youngest child turned 8.

You can keep getting Pensioner Education Supplement while getting a job seeker payment until you complete your course. This applies to both part time and full time study loads.

If you defer the course, stop studying or have a break in enrolment, you won’t be eligible for the supplement. This is even if you start studying again after a break.

Payments from the Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA)

You may be eligible if you meet the study rules and 1 of these applies:

  • you get the Invalidity Service Pension from DVA
  • you get the Partner Service Pension from DVA if your partner gets an Invalidity Service Pension.

You can also get the supplement if you have a dependent child and get 1 of these:

  • Defence Widow Pension or Defence Widower Pension
  • Special Rate Disability Pension
  • War Widow Pension or War Widower Pension
  • Compensation under the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act.

Read more about the DVA benefits and payments on the DVA website.

Study rules

You meet the rules if you’re studying an approved course as a full time or part time student.

What types of courses are approved

You’re eligible if you’re studying any of these:

  • a secondary course
  • an undergraduate course
  • a graduate course
  • certain masters courses
  • a TAFE course
  • a diploma.

Read about approved courses and institutions.

What full time or part time study is

You may study as a full time student or part time student. Part time study is at least 25% of a full time study load.

If you’re a part time student, you must meet 1 of the following to be eligible for a payment:

  • you’re a single parent with a dependent child under 16.
  • you get Carer Payment.
  • you have disability, illness or injury that affects your ability to study full time.
Next: How much you can get

There are 2 different rates of Pensioner Education Supplement you can get depending on your circumstances.

Page last updated: 28 April 2021