How to claim
Complete the following steps to claim your Pension Bonus. Before you start, check if you can get it.
Steps to claim your Pension Bonus
1. Get ready to claim
The easiest way to claim is online.
To claim online, you need a myGov account linked to Centrelink.
If you don’t have a myGov account or a Centrelink online account you’ll need to set them up.
You may need to prove your identity with us before you start your claim.
If you can’t claim online, you can do one of the following:
- print and complete the Claim for Age Pension and Pension Bonus form and Income and Assets form
- call us on the Older Australians line
- go to a service centre.
If your partner is also a member of the scheme, they’ll need to submit their own online claim. Or, you can both claim on the same paper claim form.
3. Make your claim
- Sign in to myGov and go to Centrelink.
- Select Payments and Claims from the menu, select Make a claim, then Make a claim again.
- Under Older Australians, select Get started.
- Answer all the questions. If you’re registered in the Pension Bonus Scheme, we’ll ask you questions about for your Pension Bonus claim at the end of the Age Pension claim. Each screen has information to help you complete the claim. This includes how to submit your supporting documents.
- Submit your claim.
When you're ready:
4. After you claim
We’ll let you know the result of your claim. We’ll send a letter to either your:
If you don’t get electronic letters, we’ll send you a letter in the mail.
If we need more details we’ll ask you for them.
If you think we’ve made a mistake you can ask us to review our decision.
5. After we approve your claim
We’ll check if you can get a Pension Bonus Top Up payment 13 weeks after we grant you Age Pension. You don’t need to do anything.
There are benefits to claiming your pension and bonus at certain times. For example, after you stop work or have finalised your super arrangements.
To do your business with us, create a myGov account and link it to Centrelink.
We have a range of other tools, information and services to help you get extra support.
Page last updated: 28 June 2021
This information was printed 7 October 2021 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/pension-bonus-scheme/how-claim. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.