How to claim
Complete the following steps to claim Parenting Payment.
You can’t submit a claim for Parenting Payment before the birth of a child.
If you’re eligible, we’ll pay you from the date you submit your claim.
We can also backdate your payments if you submit your claim and documents within 4 weeks of either:
- your child’s birth
- the date the child came into your primary care.
Steps to claim Parenting Payment
1. Get ready to claim
To claim a payment you will need a Customer Reference Number (CRN). You can get a CRN online through myGov. If you don’t have a myGov account you’ll need to create one. Once you’ve created your myGov account follow these steps.
- Sign in to myGov.
- Select Continue from the Government support for Coronavirus banner, then select I need a CRN.
- Follow the prompts to enter your identity details.
If you can’t get a CRN online, you can call us on the Families line.
If you can claim online
The easiest way to claim is online. We encourage you not to come to a service centre during this time.
To claim online, you need a myGov account linked to Centrelink. If you don’t have a myGov account or a Centrelink online account you’ll need to set them up.You don’t need to call or visit a service centre to establish your identity and claim a payment. Read more about the easiest way to claim a payment.
If you can't claim online
If you can’t claim online you can do 1 of these instead:
2. Get your documents ready to claim
You’ll need to get some supporting documents ready to help answer some of the questions in the claim.
3. Make your claim
- Sign in to myGov and go to Centrelink.
- Select Payments and Claims from the menu, then Claims, then Make a claim.
- Under Families, select Get started then Apply for Parenting Payment.
- Answer all the questions - there's help on each screen including how to submit supporting documents and other forms.
- Submit your claim.
When you're ready:
4. Track your claim
After you submit your claim online, you’ll get a receipt telling you:
- your claim submission was successful
- the ID number of your claim
- an estimated completion date
- the link you need to track its progress.
We’ll also let you know the result of your claim. We'll send a letter to either your:
If you don't get electronic letters, we'll send you a letter in the mail.
If we need more details we’ll ask you for them.
If you think we’ve made a mistake you can ask us to review our decision.
To do your business with us, create a myGov account and link to Centrelink.
When you claim, we’ll ask you for some documents to support your claim for a payment or service.
Page last updated: 6 May 2020
This information was printed 10 July 2020 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/parenting-payment/how-claim. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.