New to JobSeeker Payment

If we approve your claim, there are things you need to do to get your JobSeeker Payment.

What you need to do

Report your employment income and hours worked

To get your first payment, you’ll need to report your employment income. Every 2 weeks, you need to tell us what you and your partner earned in that period. If you worked but your employer hasn’t paid you yet, report your hours. You won’t get your payment until you do this. You can report using any of these:

You need to continue to report every fortnight, even when your and your partner’s income is zero.

You can find out what day you need to report either:

Agree to a Job Plan and meet your requirements

To keep getting your payment you need to complete activities to help you get a job. We call these mutual obligation requirements. We’ll let you know if you’re exempt from these.

Once you submit your claim, the Department of Education, Skills and Employment will contact you. They’ll tell you how to access the online employment service. This is where you can manage your Job Plan and tasks online.

Tell us about any changes

You need to let us know if there’s a change in your circumstances. You should also regularly check the information in your online account is correct. This is so we can make sure we pay you the right amount. If we pay you too much you’ll get a debt you need to pay back.

Changes may include:

  • a change in your relationship status
  • a change in your income
  • moving house or changing living arrangements
  • buying or selling a car, house or other assets.

You can tell us about a change to your circumstances using 1 of these self service options:

How much you’ll get paid

The amount you’ll get depends on your personal situation including:

  • if you have a partner
  • if you have children
  • the gross amount your or your partner’s employer paid you or your partner in the past 14 days.

Read more about how much you can get.

How to contact us

The best way to do most of your Centrelink business is online through either:

If you can’t do your business online, you can call us on the Centrelink Employment Services Line.

Who to contact about your mutual obligation requirements

If you want to discuss your mutual obligation requirements, who you talk to depends on your situation. This is if you want to discuss things including the following:

  • job search requirements
  • your Job Plan
  • appointments
  • the Job Seeker Snapshot.

If you’re in online employment services

Call the Department of Education, Skills and Employment’s Digital Services Contact Centre on 1800 314 677 to discuss your requirements.

If you have an employment services provider

You should talk to your employment services provider directly. You can also call the Department of Education, Skills and Employment’s National Customer Service Line on 1800 805 260.

Page last updated: 10 February 2021