How to claim

Complete the following steps to claim Farm Household Allowance (FHA). Before you start, check if you can get it.

Steps to claim FHA

  1. Visiting a service centre

    1. Get ready to claim

    The easiest way to claim is online.

    To claim online, you need a myGov account linked to Centrelink. If you don’t have a myGov account or a Centrelink online account you’ll need to set them up.

    If you and your partner are both claiming FHA, you may be able to submit a combined claim. Make sure you both do all of these before starting your claim:

    • register for online services
    • subscribe to electronic messages
    • link as a couple with us before starting your claim
    • record that your partner can deal with us on your behalf.

    The combined partner claim only starts at the Review and Confirm stage in the claim. Only one person in a couple needs to complete and submit the claim. However, the claim will be on hold until the partner actions the partner review task. This must be done within 3 days after you submit the claim.

    You may need to prove your identity with us before you start your claim.

    If you can’t claim online you can print and complete the Claim for Farm Household Allowance form.

    If you need help, you can either:

  2. Gather Documents

    2. Get your documents ready to claim

    You’ll need to get supporting documents ready to help answer some of the questions in the claim.

  3. Claim online

    3. Make your claim


    1. Sign in to myGov and go to Centrelink.
    2. Select Payment and Claims from the menu, then Claims, then Make a claim.
    3. Under Other, select Get started.
    4. Answer all the questions – there’s help on each screen including how to submit supporting documents and other forms.
    5. Submit your claim.

    When you're ready:

    Sign in to myGov

    By form

    Submit your form and supporting documents within 14 days.

    You need to complete your claim in full before you can get a payment. You need to submit all supporting documents before we can start to process your claim. You can submit them either:

    • by posting them to:
      Services Australia
      Rural and Climate Change Services
      Reply Paid 7816
      CANBERRA BC ACT 2610
    • in person, at a service centre.

    If you need help to submit your claim you can contact a Rural Financial Counsellor on 1800 686 175. Read more about the Rural Financial Counselling Service on the Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment website.


    4. Track your claim

    After you submit your claim online, you’ll get a receipt telling you:

    • we’ve got your claim
    • the ID number of your claim
    • a link to track its progress.

    You can track the progress of your claim online. Sign in to myGov and go to Centrelink, or use the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app.

    We’ll let you know the result of your application. We’ll send a message to your myGov Inbox.

    If you don't get electronic letters, we'll send you a letter in the mail.

    If we need more details we’ll ask you for them.

    If you think we’ve made a mistake you can ask us to review our decision.

Next: How to work with your case officer

A Farm Household Case Officer will contact you when you start to get Farm Household Allowance. They’ll guide and support you while you’re on this payment.

Page last updated: 2 June 2021