Change of circumstances

We need to know about changes that could increase, reduce or stop your Carer Allowance or Carer Allowance Health Care Card.

If you don’t tell us when these changes happen, you may be doing the wrong thing.

For example, you must tell us if any of the following happens to you:

  • stop giving care to the person you get Carer Allowance for
  • move house
  • go outside Australia
  • start sharing the care with someone else
  • stop sharing the care with someone else and become the main carer
  • become partnered or separated.

You also must tell us if either:

  • you or your partner are 60 or more and receive an account-based income stream
  • you and your current partner’s combined adjusted taxable income for the previous financial year was $250,000 or more.

You must tell us if the person getting care either:

  • needs less care
  • goes into respite care or hospital
  • stops being a dependent child
  • goes outside Australia
  • dies.

How and when to tell us

You can tell us your changes through our self service options.

You need to both:

  • tell us within 14 days about any change of circumstances
  • make sure your details are up to date on myGov.

What happens if you don’t tell us

If you don’t tell us about changes in your life, we may pay you too much. If this happens you’ll have to pay the money back.

If you deliberately don’t tell us about changes, we could charge you with fraud.

Read how to avoid fraud.

Page last updated: 9 January 2020