Change of circumstances

We need to know about changes that could increase, reduce or stop your Carer Allowance or Carer Allowance Health Care Card.

If you don’t tell us when these changes happen, you may be doing the wrong thing.

For example, you must tell us if any of the following happens to you:

  • change or correct your name
  • stop giving care to the person you get Carer Allowance for
  • change address
  • go outside Australia
  • start sharing the care with someone else
  • stop sharing the care with someone else and become the main carer
  • your relationship changes, for example if you become partnered or separated.

You also must tell us if either:

  • you or your partner are 60 or more and get an account-based income stream
  • you and your current partner’s combined adjusted taxable income for the previous financial year was $250,000 or more.

You must tell us if the person getting care:

  • change or correct their name
  • needs less care
  • moves into a care facility, such as an aged care home
  • stops being a dependent child
  • goes outside Australia
  • dies.

How and when to tell us

You need to tell us if your circumstances change within 14 days. If your Centrelink online account is linked to myGov you can tell us online. To do this, sign in to myGov and select My details.

Sign in to myGov

If you don’t have a myGov account or a Centrelink online account you’ll need to create them.

If you change or correct your name

It’s important to tell us if you change your legal name.

What happens if you don’t tell us

If you don’t tell us about changes in your life, we may pay you too much. If this happens you’ll have to pay the money back.

If you deliberately don’t tell us about changes, we could charge you with fraud.

Read how to avoid fraud.

Page last updated: 17 January 2024.
QC 40566