Change of circumstances
If your circumstances change, this may affect your eligibility and payment of Assistance for Isolated Children.
We review your circumstances at the end of each year. This is to make sure you get the right payment for the next year.
What to tell us
You need to tell us if your or your child's circumstances change. This includes if:
- you get Additional Boarding Allowance and your or your partner's income increases or decreases;
- you get Additional Boarding Allowance and your child's boarding charges increase or decrease
- your child stops boarding or living in the second home or studying via distance education
- your child stops studying, reduces their study load, or changes their education institution
- your personal circumstances change
- you change your address or the student changes their term address
- the care arrangements for your child change
- you or your child leave Australia permanently.
If you don't tell us about the changes within 14 days, it may affect your payment. We may pay you incorrectly and you'll have to pay the money back.
If you deliberately don't tell us about changes, we can charge you with fraud, and a recovery fee may apply.
How to tell us
You can tell us about a change to your circumstances using one of these self service options:
- your Centrelink online account through myGov
- the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app
- Centrelink phone self service.
Read more about what you can do using self service.
If you don’t have access to a self service option please call the students line.
Once we have reviewed your circumstances, we’ll send you a letter telling you:
- if you’re still eligible under the Assistance for Isolated Children Scheme
- which payments you’ll get.
If you disagree with a decision we’ve made, you have the right to ask us to review our decision. Read more about reviews and appeals.
Page last updated: 4 December 2019
This information was printed 26 May 2020 from https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/assistance-for-isolated-children-scheme/how-manage-your-payment/change-circumstances. It may not include all of the relevant information on this topic. Please consider any relevant site notices at https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/site-notices when using this material.